Goals and Accomplishments
The Goals of People First of SLO
- To speak up and out for ourselves and others.
- To understand and exercise our rights and responsibilities as citizens.
- To be involved in our community by giving back through the Robert Bove Community Service Project. Local organizations we have assisted include:
- Maxine Lewis Homeless Shelter
- Jack’s Helping Hands
- AIDS Support Network
- United Cerebral Palsy of SLO
- SLO International Film Festival
- Morro Bay Dog Park
- SLO Breast Cancer Care Fund
Accomplisments of People First of SLO
Accomplishments of People First of SLO include:
- Initiation and continuing support, in collaboration wtih local Assemblyman Sam Blakeslee, of the passage into law of AB 18, The warren Mattingly Signature Stamp Act, which promotes equal access to voters with disabilities.
- Collaboration with the City of San Luis Obispo to improve downtown SLO safety and accessibility for people with disabilities.
- Voter’s Drives (assisting with voter registration) and collaborating with the League of Women Voters to educate all people on voting issues.
- Representatives from People First of SLO serve on many organizations including:
- People First of CA Board of Directors
- The SLo Regional Transit Association
- SLO Access for All
- The Consumer Advisory Council
- CA Dept of Developmental Services
- Leadership Project of the Tri-Counties
- Area Board 9 Board of Directors
We Continue to Achieve
- Educational Community Seminars such as:
- People First Language training, credo for Support video uploaded to YouTube, Member of the Coalition on Healthy Relationships and Sexuality, and Prevention of Adult Abuse training.
- Participation in California Disability Action Network statewide “Townhall Tele-Meetings”
- Delegation of our members to Sacramento and Los Angeles to testify before legislative sub-committees on disability-related issues.